TMJ Disorder Treatment in North Vernon, IN
Millions of people around the country are affected by TMJ disorder or TMD. TMJ stands for the temporomandibular joint, which is what controls jaw movement. There are many possible causes of TMJ dysfunction, including tooth loss, trauma, jaw misalignment, and even stress. At North Vernon Dental, we can identify, diagnose, and treat TMD.Contact Us
TMJ Symptoms & Self Assessment
Not quite sure if you have TMJ disorder? You can take this quick self-assessment to determine if you have any of the common symptoms or signs of the condition.
- Do you notice a clicking, popping, or cracking sound in your jaw when you chew?
- Does your jaw ache when you chew?
- When you wake up in the morning, does your jaw hurt or feel locked?
- When you wake up in the morning, do you have a headache?
- Do you experience frequent headaches?
- Is it difficult to move your jaw — whether from side to side or forward and backward — or to open your jaw widely?
- Do you find yourself clenching your teeth during the day or grinding your teeth at night?
- Do you have ringing or buzzing in your ears?
- Do you have neck stiffness or shoulder aches?
- Have you injured your jaw, neck, or head?
If you have answered yes to one or more of these questions, it could mean that you have TMD. We advise you to schedule a consultation with one of our dentists so that we can ask you further questions and perform an exam. The sooner you see the doctor, the sooner you’ll find relief!
There are a variety of TMJ/TMD treatment options available depending on the severity and circumstances of your condition. While sometimes the disorder can go away on its own, other times it requires long-term management. Our dentist will work with you to find the best solution.
Some treatment options include:
- Exercises to strengthen your jaw muscles
- A custom oral appliance
- Nightguards to prevent teeth clenching/grinding
- Orthodontic treatment to fix an uneven bite